HEEPSTERS MAILING LIST RARITIES 4
These rare recordings come from several different sources. Most of these have never been officially released on any lp or cd
Disc One features Blackfoot with Ken Hensley recorded live in 1984. Bonus track is a single b-side that was co-written by Hensley and he also sings part of the lead vocals.
Disc Two tracks 1 & 2 are the first The Gods single with Mick Taylor (later in The Rolling Stones) on guitar. It was released in 1967 and the b-side features the first ever Ken Hensley song recorded (although his name was misspelled in the label 'Hennersley'). These songs are very rare because they were originally released only on this 7" single and haven't been officially released on cd
Disc Two tracks 3 & 4 are taken from Head Machine's album Orgasm. It was recorded in early 1969 and was just a money-making project planned by producer David Paramor. He is also credited for writing all the songs but in fact they were Hensley's songs. The group is The Gods minus guitarist Joe Konas
Disc Two tracks 5 & 6 are the Cliff Bennett Band single released in the Summer of 1969 featuring Ken Hensley. This was the only release from this line-up before ex- The Gods members Lee Kerslake and John Glasscock joined and the name was changed to Toe Fat.
Disc Two track 7 is from the first Toe Fat lp, the only track with lead vocals by Hensley. Cliff Bennett was the main vocalist an most of the songs are credited to him although they most propably are written by Ken. The reasons for leaving his name out of the credits was because by the time the album was released he had already left the group and joined Uriah Heep. Kerslake also left around the same time to form National Head Band prior to teaming up again with his former bandmate in Heep.
Disc Two tracks 8 & 9 are by the band Weed. This was another money-making project similar to Head Machine recorded in Germany 1971 Heep's Salisbury album. The producer Bodo Albes is credited for writing all the songs but in fact Hensley not only wrote the songs but he also sang and played all keyboard & guitar parts. The other musicians were members of a German band called Virus.
Disc Two track 10 is a song that has remained unreleased to this day. It is from the John Lawton era and as far as we know hasn't been available for collectors before this release.
Disc Two track 11 was recorded at Free Spirit lp sessions and released on the b-side of The System single. Another slightly different version can be found on the From Time To Time compilation released in 1994.
Disc Two track 12 is a live recording from a U.S. tour of Ken Hensley Band that he formed after Shotgun - Hensley's first band after Uriah Heep - split up.
Disc Two tracks 13 & 14 are from a music show in Vienna, Zwitzerland 1993 where Hensley played a jam session with among others Neil Schon of Journey and as an encore played these two Heep classics solo with just an acoustic guitar.
Disc Two track 15 is taken from a Peter Green tribute album released in 1995 and like the two previous songs features just Ken Hensley solo.
[To save bandwidth please right-click each link and choose
"Save Target As..." and download the files to your hard drive]
Disc One - BLACKFOOT LIVE
1. SEND ME AN ANGEL (Hensley/Williams)
2. TEENAGE IDOL (Medlocke/Spires)
3. A LEGEND NEVER DIES (Johnson/Gendel/Maher)
4. LIVIN' IN THE LIMELIGHT (Cetera)
5. RIDE WITH YOU (Medlocke/Spires/Barth/Osborne)
6. ROLLIN' AND TUMBLIN' (Waters)
7. FLY AWAY (Medlocke/Spires)
8. MORNING DEW (Dobson/Rose)
9. TRAIN TRAIN (S. Medlocke)
10. HIGHWAY SONG (Medlocke/Spires)
11. WISHING WELL (Yamauchi/Bundrick/Rodgers/Kirke/Kossoff)
12. EASY LIVIN' (Hensley)
13. BACKSTAGE TALK
14. LIVING IN THE CITY (Medlocke/Spires/Hensley)
Tracks 1 - 10 recorded at The Agora Ballroom, Cleveland 24th Oct 1984
Tracks 11 & 13 recorded at Harpo's bar, Detroit 10th Dec 1984
Track 14 b-side of Morning Dew single 1984
All officially unreleased recordings except track 13
Disc Two - KEN HENSLEY RARITIES
1. THE GODS: COME ON DOWN TO MY BOAT BABY (Farrell/Goldstein) **
2. THE GODS: GARAGE MAN (Hensley) **
From 7" single released in 1967
3. HEAD MACHINE: MAKE THE FEELING LAST (Paramor)
4. HEAD MACHINE: THE FIRST TIME (Paramor)
From Orgasm lp released in 1969
5. CLIFF BENNETT BAND: MEMPHIS STREET (Diamond) **
6. CLIFF BENNETT BAND: BUT I'M WRONG (Bennett) **
From 7" single released in 1969
7. TOE FAT: THE WHEREFORES AND THE WHYS (Bennett)
From To Fat lp released in 1970
8. WEED: SWEET MORNING LIGHT (Albes)
9. WEED: BEFORE I DIE (Albes)
From Weed lp released in 1971
10. URIAH HEEP: ENDLESS FLIGHT (Lawton) *
From "Five Miles"sessions in 1979
11. KEN HENSLEY: INSPIRATION (Hensley) **
From The System 7" single released in 1981
12. KEN HENSLEY BAND: THE WIZARD (Hensley/Clarke) *
13. KEN HENSLEY: LADY IN BLACK (Hensley) *
14. KEN HENSLEY: THE WIZARD (Hensley/Clarke) *
acoustic live 1993
15. KEN HENSLEY: HELLHOUND ON MY TRAIL (traditional)
From Peter Green tribute album released in 1995
* = Officially unreleased recording
** Officially unreleased on cd